Centre for Local GOVERNANCE ADVOCACY

  • (+233) (0) 303 937 222
    (+233) (0) 54 406 0160

Western

AHANTA WEST

DISTRICT PROFILE
The Savelugu Municipal Assembly with its administrative capital at Savelugu was carved out of the Savelugu-Nanton Municipal in 2017 under the Local Government Act 936, 2016 by Legislative Instrument (LI) 2320.

Assembly Members (31)

Location and Size
The Savelugu/Nanton Municipality is located at the northern part of the Northern Region of Ghana. It shares boundaries with West Mamprusi District to the North, Karaga District to the East, Tolon/Kumbungu District to the West and Sagnerigu District Assembly to the South. The Municipality also has a total land area of about 1790.70 sq. km.

DEMOGRAPHY
The population of the district is 106,215 according to the 2010 Population and Housing Census. This is made up of 50,999 males representing 48.01% and 55,216 females representing 51.99%,
translating into a sex ratio of 92.4. The District has a population d
ensity of 180.0 persons per square kilometer. This makes the district population relatively dense. The population of the district constitutes about 4.5 per cent and 0.43 per cent of the total population of the Western Region and Ghana respectively. The population of the district is relatively young, with over 47 per cent within the age group, 0-17. The proportion of urban to total population is 29.5 per cent, with the remaining 70.5 per cent rural.

D.C.E - Hon. Henrietta Mary Eyison

                  source:www.mofep.gov.gh/publications/composite-budget-2016 and other sources

Other Related Links

Other Related Links