Centre for Local GOVERNANCE ADVOCACY

  • (+233) (0) 303 937 222
    (+233) (0) 54 406 0160

Volta

SOUTH DAYI

DISTRICT PROFILE
The official name of the District is South Dayi District Assembly with it's capital located at Kpeve. The District was established by Legislative Instrument (L.I.) 1753 of 2004. It was carved out of the then Kpando District and inaugurated on 24th August, 2004.

Assembly Members (30)
  • Males (27)
  • Females (3)

POPULATION
According to 2010 PHC, the total population of the District is 46,661. Out of the total population, males represent 47.4 percent whilst, the females form the remaining 52.6 percent. The annual growth rate of population is about 2.5 percent. The District has a total household of 10,761 with an average household size of 4.3. The District is predominantly rural with a percentage of 61.2 and that of the urban areas constitutes 38.8 percent.

ECONOMY ACTIVITIES
The major agricultural activities are crop production, animal rearing and fishing. The agriculture sector employs about 48.3 percent of the labour force making it the largest employer in the District. The main crops cultivated are maize, cassava, yam and plantain. Some households rear animals like local poultry, sheep and goats at their backyard but potential exist for commercial poultry production as the District has agricultural station at Kpeve. River fishing is the main method of fishing in the district. However, aqua culture is gradually gaining grounds, as fish farming is being done in the communities along the Volta lake.


D.C.E - Hon Ella Boateng

                   source:www.mofep.gov.gh/publications/composite-budget-2015 and other sources

Other Related Links

Other Related Links