Centre for Local GOVERNANCE ADVOCACY

  • (+233) (0) 303 937 222
    (+233) (0) 54 406 0160

Northern

YENDI

DISTRICT PROFILE
The Yendi Municipal Assembly was established in 1988 by PN
DC Law 207, Act 462, and LI 2070. It was elevated to a Municipality in 2007. The Municipality is one of the fifty-four(54) Municipal Assemblies in the country. It is the capital of the Dagbon Kingdom.

LOCATION AND SIZE.
The Municipality is located in the Eastern corridor of the Northern Region. It lies between Latitude 90–350North and 00–300West and 00–150East. The Greenwich Meridian passes through a number of settlements –Yendi, Bago, Laatam, Lumpua, Gbetobu, Gbungbaliga and Nakpachei. The Municipal shares boundaries with six (6) other District Assemblies; to the East; Saboba District, Chereponi District and Zabzugu District, to the South Nanumba North District, to the North Gushegu District and Mion District to the West.The Municipality is strategically located at the center of the Eastern Corridor of the northern, it has a land mass of 1,446.3 sq.km.(Source: Ghana Statistical Service, 2010 Population and Housing Census) It is about 90km from the Northern Regional capital, Tamale.

POLITICAL AND ADMINISTRATIVE STRUCTURE
Administratively the Municipality has 32 electoral areas under one constituency. The Assembly consists of 45 Assembly members, 32 elected and 13 government appointees and 119 Unit committee members. Out of the 45 Assembly members only 3 (7%) are women with the remaining 42 (93%) been men. It has three Town councils, namely; Yendi Zonal council, Malzeri Zonal council and Gbungbaliga Zonal council. The Municipal Chief Executive is the Political head of the Municipality and also chairs the Executive Committee; the Municipal Co-coordinating Director is the Administrative head and chairperson to the Municipal Planning Coordinating Unit (MPCU).The Municipality has a total of 268 communities. 

Assembly Members (45)
  • Males (42)
  • Females (3)

The population of the district according to 2010 population and housing census stands at 117,780 with 58,920 males and 58,860 females.


D.C.E - HON. ALHAJI HAMMED A. YUSSUF


PM - HON. SHAHALU KAMAL-DEEN, GUNTINGLI NAA

                     source:www.mofep.gov.gh/publications/composite-budget-2016 and other sources

Other Related Links

Other Related Links