Centre for Local GOVERNANCE ADVOCACY

  • (+233) (0) 303 937 222
    (+233) (0) 54 406 0160

Central

UPPER DENKYIRA EAST

DISTRICT PROFILE
 Upper Denkyira East Municipal Assembly is one of the twenty (20) Administrative Districts of the Central Region. The Municipality was established in 2007 by the Legislative Instrument (LI 1877) from the then Upper Denkyira District. It was inaugurated in February 2008. The Administrative Capital is Dunkwa-On-Offin.

Assembly members(41)

Male(36)
Female(5)

POPULATION
The total population of the Municipality is currently 72,810 (2010 PHC Analytical report). Out of the total population, males constitute 49.16 percent, and females, 50.84 percent. The sex ratio for the municipality is 96.67, which means for every 100 females there are approximately 97 males. The current growth rate of 3.1% is higher than the national growth rate of 2.7% per annum.

DISTRICT ECONOMY
Skilled agriculture, forestry and fishery workers recorded the highest proportion of the employed population (46.1%), followed by service and sales workers (18.3%) and craft and related trades (11.7%). The proportion of male population engaged in skilled agriculture, forestry and fishery (49.2%) recorded higher than females (43.0%). Other occupations recorded very low percentages such as Managers (2.0%), technicians and associate professionals (1.5%) and clerical support workers (1.1%). According to PHC 2010, there are about 14,200 households in Upper Denkyira East, of which 8,480 (59.7%) are engaged in agriculture and the remaining households are not into agriculture (40.3%). The 2010 PHC categorises agriculture into groups, mainly: crop farming, tree growing, livestock rearing and fish farming out of the households in agriculture. The highest proportion of farming activities households engaged is crop farming (95.6), 33.6 percent are into livestock rearing, tree planting 0.5 percent while the lowest being fish farming is 0.2 percent.A little above 34 percent of households in agriculture are in urban areas whiles 82.7 percent are rural areas. About 98.1 percent of agriculture households in rural areas are engaged in crop farming, 36.3 percent into livestock rearing, 0.5 percent into tree planting and the least into fish farming (0.2%). Urban households engaged in agriculture follows the same pattern as rural households engaged in agriculture.

D.C.E. - HON. ISAAC AWUAH


                               source:www.mofep.gov.gh/publications/composite-budget-2016

Other Related Links

Other Related Links